Welcome to Colorado Springs Daily Photo!


Hi, I'm Tamera, a professional wedding, portrait and boudoir photographer in Colorado Springs. But this blog isn't about my professional work; no, it's a daily love note to my beautiful city, where I've lived for most of my life. I love it here and I hope you enjoy seeing Colorado Springs through my eyes and lens!

*ALL CONTENT ON THIS SITE IS COPYRIGHT COLORADO SPRINGS DAILY PHOTO. This is not a stock photography site. Please do not copy, save, "screen grab" or otherwise appropriate or steal any images or text. Reproduction without my written permission is prohibited. Please contact me if you are interested in buying a print.*

23 April 2018

New York (Part 5)


All of today's pictures were taken in and around Chelsea. The photo at the top of this post features a tree with twisting branches and textured, peeling bark. Can anyone tell me what kind of tree it is? Neither of us can identify it and it's driving us crazy!

Chelsea is home to many art galleries. We visited as many as our feet would tolerate, including the Aperture Foundation, the Steven Kasher Gallery, Taglialatella Galleries (where we saw everything from Longo to Koons to Lichtenstein to Banksy), and the Bryce Wolkowitz Gallery. We also checked out the High Line, a decommissioned elevated train track that's been repurposed into a public promenade and open space.

Last but not least, we tracked down the house where Jack Kerouac famously typed up his first draft of On the Road on a 120 foot long roll of paper, during a three week burst of creativity in April of 1951. It was pretty cool to stand in front of that doorway and imagine him in there, manically typing away.

More NYC images tomorrow!

The High Line is a decommissioned elevated track that's been converted to a public promenade. There are lots of people enjoying the outdoors, plus art like this sculpture and the mural below, music, and great views from up there.
454 West 20th, where Kerouac wrote On the Road.

2 comments:

William Kendall said...

The High Line was a wonderful idea!

Birch trees, which are found in abundance here, tend to have peeling bark like that. Nothing wrong with the tree, that's just part of its regular cycle. Silver maples to the same, but that seems more like a birch tree to me.

Tamera said...

I thought birch too, but I don't remember it ever getting as tall and twisty as these trees were. (We don't have birch in Colorado but I was born in Wisconsin and there's plenty of it there.) But whatever they are, I thought they were interesting and photogenic!